Marcus Cordova on GTU: Red Pork Pozole recipe
Marcus Cordova shared another delicious recipe with Good Things Utah this week! Follow along with the Marcus by clicking on the link and see the full recipe below. Let us know what you think!
Red Pork Pozole
- 3 pounds bone-in pork shoulder- trimmed and diced into ½ inch cubes
- 1 Tbls. Canola Oil
- 5 cups of water or chicken broth
- 2-25oz. cans of hominy drained and rinsed or 2 cups dried hominy cooked
- 5-8 ancho chiles
- 5-8 guajillo chiles
- 3 arból chiles (optional, use if you want a spicier broth) or crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup Chopped Cilantro
- 4 cloves of diced garlic
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 head of cabbage, shredded
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 6 radishes, sliced
- 6 limes quartered
- 3 sliced jalapenos
- 2 diced avocados
- 4 tbsp Mexican oregano
- Chile Pequin for (for extra spice)
- Salt as needed
- Dice and trim pork shoulder meat. Retain bone and roast in 400-degree oven for 15 minutes to add to broth.
- In 3-gallon pot heat oil and brown diced pork, add diced garlic and lightly brown.
- Add water or chicken broth, roasted bone and Chile Caribe (recipe below)
- Cook for about 45 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Add rinsed and drained hominy or cooked dried hominy
- Add 1 tsp of Mexican oregano
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Add salt to taste
Chile Caribe Directions:
- Remove the stems and seeds from the chiles and discard. Lightly toast chiles on a hot skillet or under the boiler. (Be Careful not to over toast as they will become bitter.)
- Place the chiles, and 2 cloves of garlic in a pot and just cover with water (about 3 cups).
- Bring to a boil and then turn off the heat. Allow the chiles to rest for 15 minutes to reconstitute them. Notice how the chiles have expanded and become pliable from absorbing the water.
- Add the chiles, garlic and soaking liquid to your blender. Blend for 1 minute until smooth.
- Strain the blended chile base. Discard the chile pulp that remains.
- Shred the cabbage
- Dice the onion
- Slice the radishes
- Slice jalapenos
- Place oregano and chile pequin in small bowls
- Dice Cilantro
- Quarter the limes
- Finely chop the arból chile
- Place each garnish into individual serving bowls.
1. Ladle the pozole into individual bowls to serve
2. Each person garnishes their pozole as desired
3. The final step is to enjoy!